On Wednesday 8 November, over 170 delegates attended the IFRRO Annual General Meeting 2017. The meeting was chaired by Rainer Just, President of the IFRRO Board, offered an overview on IFRRO activities during the last year, including finances, membership and administrative changes.
Yngve Slettholm, 1st IFRRO Vice Chair informed about changes in membership and welcomed the following eight new organisations that joined IFRRO after the 2016 AGM. To this day, IFRRO counts 149 members from all over the world, 99 of those as RRO members.
In the category of RRO members, the new members are:
Associate RRO members:
- American Society for Collective Rights Licensing – ASCRL (USA)
- Turkish Association of Educational Publishers – Egitim Yaybir (Turkey)
- Stichting Pro (Netherlands)
- Visual Rights Denmark – VISDA (Denmark)
As Provisional RRO members, IFRRO welcomed:
- Société Sénégalaise du Droit d'Auteur et des Droits Voisins – SODAV (Senegal)
- Kazakhstan Association for Administration of Intellectual Property Rights – KOUPIS (Kazakhstan)
Finally, in the category of Creator and Publisher Association members, one new member was accepted:
Caroline Morgan, CEO of IFRRO, presented the Strategic Plan for the period 2018- 2020. The plan is centred in two key objectives: Advocating for copyright and the creative sector (globally) and the Building of a strong and resilient RRO network. The Plan was well received by the membership, who were invited to provide feedback to the IFRRO Secretariat.
Three resolutions were adopted unanimously by the AGM in Tokyo:
- IFRRO Statement on restoring fair compensation to creators of content in Canada
- IFRRO Statement on copyright exceptions in the European Union
- IFRRO Statement on the need to modify the public lending right remuneration system in Spain
The Membership and Nominating Committees were elected for a period of 2 years, as follows:
- Membership Committee: Sandra Csillag (Literar-Mechana), José Borghino (IPA); Anders Kristian Rasch (Copydan Writing), Anke Schierholz (VG Bild-Kunst) and Yngve Slettholm (Kopinor).
- Nominating Committee: Sandra Csillag (Literar-Mechana), Magdalena Iraizoz (CADRA), Paul Wee (CLASS) and Dora Makwinja (COSOMA).